Ancestry DNA regrets

     Growing up I was told by my father, that he's 90% Irish and 10% Scottish. And my mom never knew her biological father, because her stepdad was in the picture since she was an infant. So I grew up always curious what the other half of my ancestry was. But I've always been more than proud of my Irish heritage. My grandmothers maiden name was Shannahan and she came from County Clare, Ireland. My dad and I both have Irish tattoos. I named my daughter Kennedy Clare, her middle name coming from the part of Ireland my grandmothers family came from.
     My husband has a similar scenario, where he doesn't know his heritages much at all. He knows his grandmother is from England, she still has her sweet accent. But his grandfather was adopted, and so he doesn't know anything. His family doesn't speak about his grandfathers adoption. And his mother was given up for adoption, so she doesn't know much about her origins either besides Native American and French Canadian. So I took it upon myself to try figuring out our ancestry by using Ancestry.com. But it's hard when you're not sure of where you or your spouses family comes from. So I took it upon myself to order my husband and I and Ancestry DNA test.
     When the test arrives, you have to spit into a tube and register your tube online... that way they know what tube belongs to who. I of course put off these process for two months because I thought it would take forever. When we finally got around to doing it, the whole process took maybe five minutes. I was so mad at myself because if I did it right away when it arrived, I would've had my results. But we mailed it off, and got a confirmation email about a week later that Ancestry received it. Now we just had to wait 6-8 weeks for our results.
    This week, I got the email that our results were in! I was so thrilled to find out the missing part of me and my husbands lives. It was like finding a missing puzzle piece, and find out about every ancestor origins that help make us the people we are today. I checked my husbands first, because I was too nervous. His results came back as 100% European! No Native American. His ancestor origins came back as 52% Great Britain, 18% Ireland, 15% Scandinavia, 8% Italy/Greece, 5% Iberian Peninsula (which is France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco), and 1% Europe East. We were fascinated. So then we had to click and check my results.
     So... I was pissed and shocked to say the least. I'm 49% Great Britain, which okay makes sense because Scotland is part of Great Britain. But I was always told I was 45% Irish and 5% Scottish. Turns out, I'm the opposite. So now I'm that person with Irish tattoos, my father was raised very Irish Catholic, my grandmothers name was Mary Ellen Shanahan and I was able to pull up on Ancestry.com that her parents were fresh off the boat from Ireland... HOW AM I ONLY 8%?! I didn't even care about the rest. 
     The last week my husband has been rubbing it in my face and making jokes, and I'm still confused and curious. But it's left me with an even bigger craving to find out where these other origins come from. I'm wondering how they figure out peoples ancestry from DNA, and how accurate it is. And where certain countries and origins came into play with my ancestry. Because the site breaks it down by regions, and lists countries in those regions, I'm curious to know which countries my ancestors were actually from. I feel like instead of finding a missing puzzle piece, I just opened a 1,000 piece puzzle and can't find all the border pieces to even start the puzzle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Credit #4

Facebook